Fresh Perspective, Cold Air

Try and think of your reaction if someone were to come and tell you "lets go on an adventure."
Do you pause? Do you already have your bags packed? Is your idea of an adventure going to Walmart at 4am? Do you rescind their request at the awful thought of leaving your house like Bilbo at the beginning of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien? Do you want to go climb a mountain (I do!)?

Something about facing the unknown drives each person into a different state of mind.
People are different.

This is my final year of undergraduate college and I am unsure of where I will be living in the coming months. I have no job prospects as of yet, no savings, and no experience beyond the textbooks in which I have spent countless hours enveloped. Needless to say, on top of all of my course load, this doesn't help my stress level.  Yet, something inside me still wants to hop up and go explore the mountains for a couple weeks.

Adventures can be little things which help give us some perspective on where we are in life.  By being removed from our context, we can more easily take a broad look at our lives and inside ourselves.

For example:
It had been a week of studying- test after test, late night after late night. 4 hours of sleep a night average and little room to pause and take a breath.  One morning I woke up and...... well actually I had never gone to bed... it was dark out and about 2AM. It had started to ice/snow outside and to my elation, continued to do so for 6-8 hours enough to cancel school for the next couple days (yes you northerners, a whole 8 inches of snow over ice in OK is a big deal).  My friends who live close by were aware, and we decided to get out and walk around for a bit.  I even ran around to one of my friends ground level windows in the dormitory and got him to come out.  What turned into a small walk became an adventure on ice.  A couple of my friends and I walked for about 2 hours and swapped stories and talked about life and what we wanted out of it. We shared stresses, stories and laughs. About 4:30AM we parted ways to sleep.

After that I was refreshed, I had a new perspective on the stressful seasons I was going through.  Just a little time with friends on an unexpected night helped me to be refreshed and ready to face the stresses of life.

I think God gives us little and big adventures to give us a break from the mundane and help us to refocus on him and the things around us anew.

Maybe its time for you to have one?
Peace, Adventures,
SCC

Comments